banner image

UX DC Lady's Lab

A UX DC Lady’s lab side project, an app that takes the headache out of finding last minute activities, and makes it easy to invite friends to join.


Problem

It’s difficult to find last minute plans. Everyone has a busy schedule, so coordinating a group of friends to join is even more frustrating.


Our group formed to work on UX-driven side projects. Being a group of working professionals, we’ve all struggled to find a last minute event/show/activity. As busy people, we try to fit as much fun and social time as possible, but we don’t want to waste time trying to coordinate with our friends and loved ones. We tentatively named this app "Friendbait".


Artifacts

  • Synthesized user experience insights
  • Competitive research and heuristic analyses
  • Persona and storyboard
  • Wire-frame and user flow
  • Information architecture
  • Low fidelity prototype
  • High fidelity prototype

Tools

  • Sketch
  • InVision
  • Marvel
  • Adobe CC
  • Balsamiq
  • Lucid chart
  • Realtime Board


My role

This was a team project. I was responsible for user interviews, synthesizing the user research into primary and secondary persona development, leading the intial task-flow and wireframe development, and creating interactive prototypes. I also contributed to the competitive and heuristic analyses.


User research and synthesis

The goal of this project is to develop an app that helps people find an event and invite their friends. In order to fully understand what need our app could solve for potential users, we interviewed 15 busy students and young professionals to get a sense of how they currently plan social time with their friends or find events.


As a team we transferred our interview notes to post-it’s, and used an affinity map to sort the data into discrete clusters. We also conducted a brief online survey to get a sense of our potential users’ needs. Several themes stood out:

  1. Finding events can be time-consuming and frustrating. People tend to visit multiple sites, or revert to their typical activities. Wasting time is a large concern.
  2. Budget and distance-to-activity (i.e. commute time) to are important factors that can inhibit or encourage our interviewees to go out to an event.
  3. People hate going back and forth with friends over multiple platforms when trying to decide on a plan.

Based on these themes, we decided there were two main needs that our app had to address: It must 1) reduce the time and cognitive burden of finding an activity and 2) it must seamlessly allow people to invite their friends.



Based on the user interviews, user survey, and data synthesis, we developed a primary (core user) and secondary persona.




Competitive and heuristic analyses

Multiple apps already exist that attempt to address our users pain-points. In order to understand the status quo, we researched competitive apps.



After identifying features in comparable apps, we circled back to our core users’ needs - a seamless, light-weight app that quickly allows people to find an event and send that information to their friends. We had lots of ideas of what sorts of features our app could have, so we prioritized them using the Kano model.



From this we narrowed down our core features into the following categories: events, event filters, and the ability to share events using native messaging apps or social media.



Prototype and usability testing

Taking these core features, we iterated on several user flows, with the focus being on creating a quick, and flexible experience.



I then iterated on the user interface and developed a low-fi paper prototype, which I made interactive using Marvel. I also generated a more polished prototype using Balsamiq.


Results

We just completed testing our initial Marvel prototype via guerrilla testing methods, and are synthesizing those outcomes. Once we’ve finalized our initial usability results, we will develop a high-fidelity prototype for final usability studies.